This is the Imambara at Hooghly.
The Imambara building having a masonry revetment is situated on the bank of river Ganges at Chinsurah. The place is nearest to the railway station “Hooghly” on the Howrah Bandel main line and from Hooghly station the rickshaw or auto rickshaw is available to reach the place.
The building was started in the year 1841 by Haji Mohammad Mahasin & was completed in the year 1861 at the cost of Rs.2,17,413/- including a clock procured from England at the cost of Rs.11,721/-. The two storied building consisting ranged rooms having a wide entrance of main gate flanked by two nos. of giant towers measuring 80 ft. tall & a massive clock tower in between them. A mosque, the walls of which are decorated by the texts from the Holy Koran and the interior of the mosque is enriched with inlaid marble and careings, candle and lanterns. The mosque is situated at the north side of the building. At the south there is an enclosed compound where the graves of Md. Mohasin & his relatives are present.